Sunday, April 13, 2014

Swoon Dessert Bar (North Park, San Diego) 4.12.2014

Today is one of those weekends where its just perfect to be outdoor and to explore around the city. For the past few months everytime I come home for the weekend I've noticed an increase in new places in San Diego. New stores, new supermarkets, and new restaurants just started to emerge around San Diego. My sister and I decided to try this one place in North Park called Swoon Dessert Bar. After looking at their weekly updated menu and people's good reviews on their unique take on desserts, I did not hesitate to book a reservation.



The restaurant is aesthetically clean and modern in its interior design with big glass windows and on its right is an art gallery which is suprisingly connected with the restaurant. Their menu choices though is what caught my attention. In there you are given a choice between their regular individual desserts which are split into two categories: Sweet and Hybrid. Or their Dessert tasting menu which is a 3 course prix fixe menu. With so many good choices, we decided to have the 3 course prix fixe menu AND one dessert from each Hybrid and Sweet menu to be able to try different variety of their desserts. 


Amuse Bouchë 
For our Amuse Bouchë we are given a Roasted Hazelnut almond top with Salted Caramel gelato. 



First Course
This first course involves a Carrot Cake as the base centerpiece served with peas and crunchy carrot cake crumbs top with Carrot Sorbet and a drizzle of Lavender Snow. At first, I did not quite get the concept of the peas being served in a dessert dish and I was worried that it wouldn't work with the sorbet also. However, after trying it I couldn't believe how all these things goes in together perfectly. The warm carrot cake is well baked and moist which compliments the peas and carrot sorbet. I always like that warm and cold combination in desserts which is a major plus in this dessert. The cake crumbs is also my favorite part because it just add that crunch with moist carrot cake. If only my mom served my veggies this way when I was little I wouldn't mind it at all. This course is like a new and modern unique take on vegetable dish and it all works out magically! 


Second course
For the second flight we're given Ramp Biscuit served with seasoned mushroom Browne Butter and Maple Kumquats. This course is more like a savory dish than a sweet dessert. The mushroom along with the biscuit is very tasty and savory although I forgot what is the crunchy leaves is called. The sweet maple kumquats was just perfect with the mushroom and the biscuits as well. I find it really amazing how different flavors can be in just one simple dish.


Third course
For our final course we had a Lemon Sponge Cake served with Ginger Sorbet, Rum Gelee and garnished with Finger Lime. According to Chef Ian this dessert is "not really a dessert but more like a cocktail". If you guys had the drink called Dark 'N' Stormy before then this dessert is his version of it. I was kinda skeptical whether he could actually get the taste of Dark 'N' Stormy at first but after having a taste I was surprised because it really did taste like Dark 'N' Stormy! Until now I'm still blown away and wondering how he can mimic a cocktail drink and put it in a dessert platter. 


Hybrid
For our hybrid dish we had Bay Leaf Gelato served with Beets, Meyer Lemon and Hazelnut. This is another unique take on seasonal ingredients by Chef Ian. The gelato with the beets is my favorite part about this dessert because its creamy and very tasty. 


Sweet
For our sweet dish we had Peanut Butter Gelato served with Celeriac Ganashe, Rum raisins and Candy Celery. Oh man how am I even gonna start on this amazing dessert. First thing I must say that the peanut butter gelato was just insanely good and creamy! Although I am not a big fun of the rum raisins, this dessert hits the home run with the addition of celeriac ganashe and candy celery that added texture and crunch to this dessert. Definitely a must try especially if you're a peanut butter lover!

No comments:

Post a Comment