Saturday, April 26, 2014

Ramen Yukino Ya (Rowland Heights, Ca) 4.23.2014

As week four of Spring quarter finally kick in, this means that uni students will yet again get bombarded with midterms and term papers for the next several days. In my case, I just finished my Microbio midterm last Tuesday and I have another one waiting for me on Friday. Some of my friends even had three midterms back-to-back on the same day which I find really insane! I just couldn't imagine taking that kind of stress anxiety, but then I was jealous since that means they get to finish their midterms earlier in the week. To celebrate the "end" of their midterms, my friends then decided to head to L.A. for some quick goodeats. After searching on the internet for a place to eat, we stumbled upon this noodle house called Ramen Yukino Ya at Rowland Heights. Although it's not as popular as Foo Foo Tei or Shin Sen Gumi, it has some good reviews and it's closer so we decided to give it a try. The place was actually somewhere hidden around gale avenue and since most of us don't live in the L.A. area, we had a hard time finding it.



We were pretty hungry and excited when we finally arrive at the place. Oh yeah I must warn you guys though that this place is CASH ONLY so make sure (if you're like me who often doesnt carry cash) to stop by at an ATM before heading here. The place was actually quite small with some tables for four party groups and a bar sitting area near the kitchen. According to one of the reviews, the owner was from Okinawa so yes this place is an authentic Japanese ramen house and they do speak Japanese here. The menu selection was very simple with your standard choices of soup base, meat, and type of noodles. They don't really have many choices for side dishes except for a combination of ramen with some California rolls that I saw. I'm also not sure but they seem to only have one server in this restaurant but probably it was only that day. Nevertheless we didn't have to wait that long for our food to arrive.


Yukino Ya Tonkotsu
I decided to get their Tonkotsu. The soup base is made from pork bone and vegetables which is boiled in high heat for 10 hours, simmered and reduced to make it creamy and flavorful. Their bowl also comes with thin straight ramen noodles, easy boiled organic egg, black pork belly chashu, Naruto, Yakinori, Menma, bean sprouts, ginger and scallion. 


Although I'm not quite impress by the consistency of the noodles itself, they gave me a pretty good portion of it which I appreciate by eating every last piece of the strand of noodles in my bowl. It was just good! I also got a lot of chashu pork in my bowl which is a big major plus for me since I'm a big fun of chashu. I like that their soup base was not that oily either. It was pretty good and savory but nothing spectacular. 


Yukino Ya Shoyu
Their Shoyu bowl's base soup was made from pork bone, chicken bone, seafood, and vegetables. Slowly cooked and boiled for 10 hours at low heat to make the soup smooth and clear. It come with Chijire-men noodles (wavy noodles) instead of the straight noodles like the Tonkotsu as well as easy boiled egg, black pork belly chashu, Naruto, Yakinori, Menma, bean sprout, and scallion. This bowl is actually my friend's bowl of Shoyu ramen so I can't really give you guys a full good description of it. Although I had a spoon of his Shoyu base soup and I find it better than my Tonkotsu. Well I guess I will never know what I had missed in that bowl. Although they don't have a variety of selection like the other ramen places I've been to, overall this ramen house is a pretty good and decent place to get your ramen craving fixed especially if you're not into waiting in long lines like many of those popular ramen places in LA. Nonetheless we left the place pretty satisfied and full.









No comments:

Post a Comment